Global Warming
04 January 2019 21:18:09

Here is the latest tracker for January. Today's CET was barely above freezing. CET currently standing at just 2.94C despite the very mild opening day to the month. A further small fall likely tomorrow.

By the middle of the month it currently looks like we will be tracking slightly above average.

Beyond that ?????? I know where my money is. Currently very happy with my prediction of 3.2C. On a scale of 1 to gary sarre I am starting to feel very confident!!!!  (only those members who have been around a while will get that one)

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Global Warming
04 January 2019 21:22:07

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Brian overlooked my marketing spam! 

Hopefully we made the 50 mark and hopefully people will stick with us throughout the year, regardless of their position on the score table!  

Of course it’s great to be up at the top in the competition but the best things about these threads are the ongoing discussions, the stats, the records and the banter between people with the same interests.  Not least, the friendly ribbing and jostling for top spots!  All eyes on Darren, Snowshoe and Gusty!  

Just wanted to say a big thank you for your marketing efforts Caz. It definitely made an impact.

I now have a link to the CET thread in my signature as well.

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
04 January 2019 23:21:15

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Not quite. Gez is talking about the other competition to predict the CET for the whole of 2019. He is already in the January competition.

There is a separate thread for the other competition but I don't open up a new one each year. I just rename the existing thread as it only has a few pages to it. It is stickied and I will post the list of predictions there later this evening. No problem to have additional entries in that competition given we are only 4 days into the 365 day year. So no real advantage for making a prediction a couple of days late.

Indeed Mr GW, that is what I'm talking about. Thanks for your flexibility on that one. And thanks to the others for their moral support.

Here's to another great rollercoaster year of predictions!

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 04:45:43

Here is the latest tracker for January. Today's CET was barely above freezing. CET currently standing at just 2.94C despite the very mild opening day to the month. A further small fall likely tomorrow.

By the middle of the month it currently looks like we will be tracking slightly above average.

Beyond that ?????? I know where my money is. Currently very happy with my prediction of 3.2C. On a scale of 1 to gary sarre I am starting to feel very confident!!!!  (only those members who have been around a while will get that one)

Yes, when I saw your prediction I was a bit worried about mine!  You’re consistently good at this and once again it’s looking good for you!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 05:04:11

Just wanted to say a big thank you for your marketing efforts Caz. It definitely made an impact.

I now have a link to the CET thread in my signature as well.

Not at all GW!  It was purely selfish!  I don’t want to lose the CET threads.   

Bertie was right. We should all make an effort to keep it going and you put so much more into it than any of us, we should show our appreciation a bit more!  

In general, it would help our case if we all post regularly to keep the interest going and keep the thread in the ‘recent posts’ list. These threads get a lot of views but not always a lot of posts.  We’ve made a good start this year though!  Let’s keep it up!  

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 08:48:54

Not at all GW!  It was purely selfish!  I don’t want to lose the CET threads.   

Bertie was right. We should all make an effort to keep it going and you put so much more into it than any of us, we should show our appreciation a bit more!  

In general, it would help our case if we all post regularly to keep the interest going and keep the thread in the ‘recent posts’ list. These threads get a lot of views but not always a lot of posts.  We’ve made a good start this year though!  Let’s keep it up!  

But the CET threads are 'sticky' so they are always towards the top of the list of threads.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Hungry Tiger
05 January 2019 11:07:53

Originally Posted by: Col 

But the CET threads are 'sticky' so they are always towards the top of the list of threads.

I sticky the CET threads as they are a vital part of the forum - Also yes and well said to Caz who mentioned that everyone should show their appreciation a bit more. I hope I've done my bit - I love this competition and well done to Simon (GW) who puts a lot of effort into this.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 11:35:49

Yes the threads are always stickied!  Thanks HT! 

But what I meant was, at the bottom of the ‘Two Community Discussion’ page there’s a list of Active posts and ‘Most Recent Posts’ with a time stamp.  So anyone landing there can immediately see which threads are of current interest without having to go to that forum.  Every little helps!  

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 11:51:15

Yes the threads are always stickied!  Thanks HT! 

But what I meant was, at the bottom of the ‘Two Community Discussion’ page there’s a list of Active posts and ‘Most Recent Posts’ with a time stamp.  So anyone landing there can immediately see which threads are of current interest without having to go to that forum.  Every little helps!  

Right, I see what you mean. Thing is the weather forum itself is my 'homepage' as it were for TWO. I very rarely look at the other forums. I have another place where I can argue about Brexit!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
ARTzeman
05 January 2019 12:58:18

Met Office  Hadley         3.3c.     Anomaly    -0.1c. Provisional to 4th.

Metcheck                      3.61c     Anomaly    -0.54c

Netweather                   3.89c     Anomaly    -0.32c

Bordon                         3.1c       Anomaly    -4.74c

Canvey Island               4.9c       Anomaly    -0.75c

Cheadle Hulme              3.5c       Anomaly    -1.53c

Clevedon Weather          3.8c      Anomaly     -2.68c

Darwen                         4.2c      Anomaly     -1.06c

Hexam                          3.6c      Anomaly     -0.68c

Mount Sorrel                  4.0c      Anomaly     0.71c

Forest Town Mansfield     4.5c      Anomaly     0.0c.

Peasedown St John         4.5c      Anomaly     -0.7c

Treviskey Redruth           6.6c      Anomaly     -1.28c

Mean of my 10 stations   4.27c.   Anomaly     -1.44c.  

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 January 2019 13:25:04

Right, I see what you mean. Thing is the weather forum itself is my 'homepage' as it were for TWO. I very rarely look at the other forums. I have another place where I can argue about Brexit!

Ahh!  That’s why we don’t see you in the forum arms then!  Pop in and have a drink with us in the taproom - AKA the daily thread!  

Yes different people have different landing pages, which is why I want to cover all bases.  HT’s job isstickying.  My job is nagging!  

Hungry Tiger
05 January 2019 14:16:36

Ahh!  That’s why we don’t see you in the forum arms then!  Pop in and have a drink with us in the taproom - AKA the daily thread!  

Yes different people have different landing pages, which is why I want to cover all bases.  HT’s job isstickying.  My job is nagging!  

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Gavin P
05 January 2019 14:38:58

Happy New Year CET thread. 

I see we're currently 0.1C below average with Hadley now!   Not bad considering where we were on NYD. 

Rural West Northants 120m asl
Short, medium and long range weather forecast videos @ https://www.youtube.com/user/GavsWeatherVids
ARTzeman
05 January 2019 16:31:52

Maybe on the way up very soon

Others just get wet.
johncs2016
05 January 2019 16:48:19
Actually, this is one occasion where it would be nice if we could actually get a colder than average month this time, even though that would be bad for me in terms of this month's competition (evidence here that what I think will happen, isn't necessarily the same as what I want to happen when it comes to our weather).

Whether or not that actually ends up happening though, is a different matter altogether especially since colder than average winter months tend to be a rather rare beast these days.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bertwhistle
05 January 2019 18:47:04

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Actually, this is one occasion where it would be nice if we could actually get a colder than average month this time, even though that would be bad for me in terms of this month's competition (evidence here that what I think will happen, isn't necessarily the same as what I want to happen when it comes to our weather).

Whether or not that actually ends up happening though, is a different matter altogether especially since colder than average winter months tend to be a rather rare beast these days.

I think many of us share a boat there!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
ARTzeman
06 January 2019 12:46:53

Met Office Hadley     3.3c.  Anomaly   -0.1c. Provisional to 5th.

Metcheck                  3.92c  Anomaly   -0.23c

Netweather               4.05c  Anomaly   -0.16c

Forest Town Mansfield    5.1c   Anomaly   0.6c

Peasedown St John    4.5c    Anomaly    -0.7c

Treviskey Redruth   6.9c   Anomaly   -0.98c.

Meam of my 10  4.72c. Anomaly   -0.99c.          

Others just get wet.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 January 2019 14:52:52

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley     3.3c.  Anomaly   -0.1c. Provisional to 5th.

Metcheck                  3.92c  Anomaly   -0.23c

Netweather               4.05c  Anomaly   -0.16c

Forest Town Mansfield    5.1c   Anomaly   0.6c

Peasedown St John    4.5c    Anomaly    -0.7c

Treviskey Redruth   6.9c   Anomaly   -0.98c.

Meam of my 10  4.72c. Anomaly   -0.99c.          

My nearest station, Forest Town, is the only one with a positive anomaly and it’s a fair bit warmer than the CET average.  The past 48 hours have seen a rise in temp here and the sun is even shining this afternoon!  

Global Warming
06 January 2019 15:53:01

Roger Brugge's site is also a good source of data from across the country. This link has data for all the SYNOP stations in the UK and Ireland

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Although the CET is currently below average, some places in the north and west of the UK are well above average / well above 6C.

Baltasound 6.3C (+2.1C)

Ronaldsway (IOM) 7.2C (+1.2C)

Culdrose 7.0C (+0.4C)

Scilly 8.8C (+0.9C)

Parts of Ireland are incredibly mild including Valencia at 9.4C (+2.1C)

Some inland parts of England and Wales are well below average

Pershore 2.6C (-1.9C)

Lyneham 2.6C (-1.7C)

Benson 3.0C (-1.3C)

Bala 2.8C (-1.2C)

And in the highlands of Scotland also quite cold in places

Aboyne 0.2C (-2.3C)

So a real mixed bag across the UK at the moment this month

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
06 January 2019 16:31:57

Roger Brugge's site is also a good source of data from across the country. This link has data for all the SYNOP stations in the UK and Ireland

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

Although the CET is currently below average, some places in the north and west of the UK are well above average / well above 6C.

Baltasound 6.3C (+2.1C)

Ronaldsway (IOM) 7.2C (+1.2C)

Culdrose 7.0C (+0.4C)

Scilly 8.8C (+0.9C)

Parts of Ireland are incredibly mild including Valencia at 9.4C (+2.1C)

Some inland parts of England and Wales are well below average

Pershore 2.6C (-1.9C)

Lyneham 2.6C (-1.7C)

Benson 3.0C (-1.3C)

Bala 2.8C (-1.2C)

And in the highlands of Scotland also quite cold in places

Aboyne 0.2C (-2.3C)

So a real mixed bag across the UK at the moment this month

Thank you!  That’s a set of data worth having the link to!  Yes I see what you mean about the mixed bag!  Nottingham comes in at 4.8c, pretty much in line with the Forest Town temp.