Darren S
02 January 2019 22:53:08

I almost forgot, but fortunately I had put a recurring reminder in my phone for 11pm on the 2nd of each month! You're up to 49 predictions now...

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
Gusty
02 January 2019 22:56:41

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

I almost forgot

..... oh, that would have been a shame 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

johncs2016
02 January 2019 23:05:22
Just to let everyone know, I have just joined this month's competition as it is important for as many members as possible to join in order to keep it going. I won't say here what my guess for this month but as has been said many times, it is really the taking part and the banter which counts more than anything and that is what I am looking forward to.

This means that if my guess for this months ends up being a good one, that will be a mere bonus for me.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 January 2019 06:34:20

Originally Posted by: Gusty 

..... oh, that would have been a shame 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 January 2019 06:52:47

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

I have 48 CET predictions so far for January. Just under 2 hours to go before the deadline. Hopefully we can make it over 50.

Brian overlooked my marketing spam! 

Hopefully we made the 50 mark and hopefully people will stick with us throughout the year, regardless of their position on the score table!  

Of course it’s great to be up at the top in the competition but the best things about these threads are the ongoing discussions, the stats, the records and the banter between people with the same interests.  Not least, the friendly ribbing and jostling for top spots!  All eyes on Darren, Snowshoe and Gusty!  

johncs2016
03 January 2019 09:16:24

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Brian overlooked my marketing spam! 

Hopefully we made the 50 mark and hopefully people will stick with us throughout the year, regardless of their position on the score table!  

Of course it’s great to be up at the top in the competition but the best things about these threads are the ongoing discussions, the stats, the records and the banter between people with the same interests.  Not least, the friendly ribbing and jostling for top spots!  All eyes on Darren, Snowshoe and Gusty!  

Well, my own entry means that we now have at least 49 entries which means that just one more member would need to have joined in order to make up that magic 50 mark. I'm hoping though, that this will have happened though without any issues.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
wallaw
03 January 2019 09:34:06

I'm in too, so hopefully 50

best of luck all

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

Devonian
03 January 2019 09:39:32

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

I almost forgot, but fortunately I had put a recurring reminder in my phone for 11pm on the 2nd of each month! You're up to 49 predictions now...

^^^ Is a strategy I think I'll adopt in future .

For a long time I've follow the idea that I really should put my answer in before the month starts - but I come round to the view it's probably a needless self inflicted, if small, handicap.

"When it takes nearly 900,000 votes to elect one party’s MP, and just 26,000 for another, you know something is deeply wrong."

The electoral reform society, 14,12,19
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 January 2019 09:47:54

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Well, my own entry means that we now have at least 49 entries which means that just one more member would need to have joined in order to make up that magic 50 mark. I'm hoping though, that this will have happened though without any issues.

Darren made his late entry just before yours John, so you may have actually been the 50th!  We might even have surpassed that figure.  Personally, I wouldn’t deny anyone the chance to still have a punt even though we’re past the deadline, but that’s entirely at GW’s discretion!

Now we just have to keep posting throughout the year to keep the numbers up.  We generally start well but numbers tend to dwindle through the months, maybe as some people think they’re too low down the table to get a final top spot, or maybe they just forget to post their predictions in subsequent months.  

As Bertie said earlier, we need to keep posting regularly to keep up the interest and to keep our precious threads alive!  We all need to do our bit!  

Gusty
03 January 2019 10:12:47

Let the fun begin ! 

I've taken the grown up step of predicting with my heart rather than my head.

My performance over the the past few years has either been very good or very poor. I'm aiming to win it this year but realistically will be happy with a top 10 finish. Consistency is key for me.

Its not all about good luck, there is an element of skill involved. This is what makes this competition it is.

Snowshoe, The professional, Whether Idle and Darren are the ones to watch IMO.

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Darren S
03 January 2019 10:19:27

I've taken the grown up step of predicting with my heart rather than my head.

Good luck! I'd like you to be successful with that strategy, I don't think I would be... 

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
wallaw
03 January 2019 10:36:10

Originally Posted by: Caz 

Darren made his late entry just before yours John, so you may have actually been the 50th!  We might even have surpassed that figure.  Personally, I wouldn’t deny anyone the chance to still have a punt even though we’re past the deadline, but that’s entirely at GW’s discretion!

Now we just have to keep posting throughout the year to keep the numbers up.  We generally start well but numbers tend to dwindle through the months, maybe as some people think they’re too low down the table to get a final top spot, or maybe they just forget to post their predictions in subsequent months.  

As Bertie said earlier, we need to keep posting regularly to keep up the interest and to keep our precious threads alive!  We all need to do our bit!  

Last year was the first i didn't manage to get all the way through i think and that was largely due to changing jobs too many times. I'm back settled now (hopefully) so I will be aiming for mid-table mediocrity once again 

Ian

Stockton-on-Tees

ARTzeman
03 January 2019 11:44:08

Met Office Hadley        5.1c.     Anomaly     1.5c. Provisional to 2nd.

Metcheck                     4.65c    Anomaly      0.49c

Netweather                  5.53c    Anomaly      1.34c

Bordon                        4.5c      Anomaly      -3.34c

Canvey Island              5.7c      Anomaly      0.05c

Cheadle Hulme             4.8c     Anomaly      -0.53c

Clevedon Weather         5.9c    Anomaly      -0.58c

Darwen                        3.6c    Anomaly      -1.66c

Hexam                         2.9c    Anomaly      -1.38c

Mount Sorrel                 5.1c   Anomaly       0.6c

Forest Town Mansfield    5.1c   Anomaly       0.6c

Peaseodwn St John        6.4c   Anomaly       1.2c

Treviskey Redruth          6.8c   Anomaly       -1.08c.

Mean Of My Watched 10 stations using a six-year average    4.57c   Anomaly  -1.14c.             

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
03 January 2019 13:52:33

Originally Posted by: wallaw 

Last year was the first i didn't manage to get all the way through i think and that was largely due to changing jobs too many times. I'm back settled now (hopefully) so I will be aiming for mid-table mediocrity once again 

Good to have you back in the pack Ian!  I’d be ecstatic if I came somewhere in the middle!  My problem is I have too many holidays. No, no, not too many, I mean I’m often away for the prediction deadline.   

Global Warming
03 January 2019 21:27:36

Thanks to everyone who is taking part in the competition. We didn't quite make the 50 mark. There were a number of people who sent separate messages at different times for the January and annual competitions which I hadn't spotted. So the total number of January predictions is 49 but that is still a nice increase on the 36 we had in December.

I will try and post up the annual CET predictions in the other thread tomorrow evening.

Here is the table for January. A nice spread of predictions. Surely somebody will be very close.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Direct link to larger table TABLE

johncs2016
03 January 2019 21:42:00

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Thanks to everyone who is taking part in the competition. We didn't quite make the 50 mark. There were a number of people who sent separate messages at different times for the January and annual competitions which I hadn't spotted. So the total number of January predictions is 49 but that is still a nice increase on the 36 we had in December.

I will try and post up the annual CET predictions in the other thread tomorrow evening.

Here is the table for January. A nice spread of predictions. Surely somebody will be very close.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Direct link to larger table TABLE

A very interesting spread of predictions here, which may well be indicative of the differences of opinions which there is regarding what the effects of currently ongoing SSW event are likely to be if there are any (as is evident on the MO thread).

I was also watching with great interest, Gavin P.'s excellent January forecast video where he didn't give any exact predictions for what the average CET would be, but nevertheless indicated what he believed the temperature anomaly would roughly be (he went for this month to be slightly milder than average overall in that forecast).

In my predictions, I have gone for a warmer temperature anomaly than what Gavin P. did on his forecast video so if this month ends up being milder than what he expected, it will then be great to see whether or not, I then beat him in terms of who (between him and I) is closer to what the actual temperature anomaly for this month ends up as.

That to me, is another fun aspect of being part of this competition and is another reason why I joined it. It's just a shame that we didn't quite make it to 50 entrants but hopefully, this will be a good competition for everyone who has taken part in it.

Gusty
03 January 2019 21:51:31

A good spread to kick the year off.  Good luck all 

The hearts have gone higher...the heads have gone lower....the steady eddies have gone for the middle ground. 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Bertwhistle
03 January 2019 21:56:50

A good spread to kick the year off.  Good luck all 

The hearts have gone higher...the heads have gone lower....the steady eddies have gone for the middle ground. 

Or maybe it's hearts down, heads up Steve. I for one will be glad if I'm way, way too high.... but only for January!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Gusty
03 January 2019 22:17:24

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Or maybe it's hearts down, heads up Steve. I for one will be glad if I'm way, way too high.... but only for January!

The head has ruined many a January prediction for me Bertie. Only two years ago I made a made a last minute change from 4.7c to 1.9c based on two consecutive runs showing easterlies at 168. Naturally the atlantic won out, the month ended circa 5.5c and I was nearly 4c out in the first month.

I was younger then 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 January 2019 06:32:03

The head has ruined many a January prediction for me Bertie. Only two years ago I made a made a last minute change from 4.7c to 1.9c based on two consecutive runs showing easterlies at 168. Naturally the atlantic won out, the month ended circa 5.5c and I was nearly 4c out in the first month.

I was younger then 

It’s the gut that spoils it for me!  I try not to be influenced by the month end weather but it doesn’t work. I don’t think the heart or the head would fare much better in my case though!  

Shame we didn’t quite make 50 but still a good number and we may entice more in next month. Let’s hope we don’t get too many falling by the wayside!