Darren S
26 January 2020 22:15:05

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Keep an eye on Iceland in the coming days.

https://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/possible-magma-accumulation-beneath-mt-thorbjorn-on-reykjanes-peninsula

That seems to be directly underneath the "Blue Lagoon". Would be a big blow to the Icelandic tourist trade if there was an eruption there that caused any damage.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
picturesareme
26 January 2020 22:47:57

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

That seems to be directly underneath the "Blue Lagoon". Would be a big blow to the Icelandic tourist trade if there was an eruption there that caused any damage.

Very close indeed. Should lava erupt then depending on direction and quantity it could be problematic. The source for the blue lagoon is man made but i don't know irs its location.

picturesareme
31 January 2020 23:23:02

Quite a jump in activity in Iceland with multiple quakes approaching over M4 in the inflation zone. No volcanic tremors as of yet but i wonder how long can this uplift last before something gives in the crust. 

doctormog
31 January 2020 23:38:25
Yes, it will be interesting to see how this develops. As well as the earthquake activity the last few days have seen over 45mm of ground inflation.
picturesareme
31 January 2020 23:55:18

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this develops. As well as the earthquake activity the last few days have seen over 45mm of ground inflation.

Yes the uplift continues.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
29 February 2020 06:44:37

Study on Krakatoa's 2018 eruption links rate of lightning flashes to height of plume and hence the measures needed to re-route planes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743 [sorry - as ozone A says, wrong link, use the one in the post below, thanks for correcting]

which also has embedded link to aftermath of this year's Taal eruption

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
ozone_aurora
29 February 2020 11:44:58

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Study on Krakatoa's 2018 eruption links rate of lightning flashes to height of plume and hence the measures needed to re-route planes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51681760.

which also has embedded link to aftermath of this year's Taal eruption

Sorry to say, wrong link! I corrected it for you. :)

picturesareme
02 April 2020 22:52:55
An interesting update with regards to the ongoing swarms & uplift on the peninsula in Iceland.

https://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/more-research-is-needed-to-decipher-the-on-going-activity-at-the-reykjanes-peninsula-as-a-whole 

Swarms on multiple volcanic systems on the ridge.
Saint Snow
07 April 2020 09:38:42

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

An interesting update with regards to the ongoing swarms & uplift on the peninsula in Iceland.

https://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/more-research-is-needed-to-decipher-the-on-going-activity-at-the-reykjanes-peninsula-as-a-whole

Swarms on multiple volcanic systems on the ridge.

Imagine a super-eruption at a time like this 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
picturesareme
09 April 2020 21:20:00

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Imagine a super-eruption at a time like this 

Would be interesting. At least there wouldn't be many flights been grounded because of ash

The Beast from the East
11 April 2020 10:02:26

Would be the worst possible moment for a natural disaster. An earthquake in a lockdowned city would spread the virus everywhere

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
doctormog
18 May 2020 07:02:20
For anyone old enough to be remember, or just more generally for information, it is 40 years to the day since the eruption of Mount St Helens.
llamedos
18 May 2020 07:38:54

For anyone old enough to be remember, or just more generally for information, it is 40 years to the day since the eruption of Mount St Helens.

I do Michael, but I'm shocked to learn it was 40 years ago.......a massive plume rising thousands of feet into the sky.

"Life with the Lions"

TWO Moderator
doctormog
17 June 2020 20:43:09
I wonder if Grímsvötn (SW Iceland) is getting ready for another eruption in the near future.
lanky
17 June 2020 21:41:48

I went there for a visit in 2014 and I hadn't realised how wide an area was flattened by that lateral blast wave until I stood there

In this pic I think I am about 6 miles away and this area was devastated but is now regenerating as part of a strict conservation area

There is usually a small cumulus cloud above the crater showing it is still fairly hot in there

clickable

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
Hippydave
18 June 2020 07:39:12

Originally Posted by: lanky 

I went there for a visit in 2014 and I hadn't realised how wide an area was flattened by that lateral blast wave until I stood there

In this pic I think I am about 6 miles away and this area was devastated but is now regenerating as part of a strict conservation area

There is usually a small cumulus cloud above the crater showing it is still fairly hot in there

clickable

I was doing a wander through volcano videos on youtube with my daughter the other day and there was one about the Mount St Helens eruption and the rapid glacier growth post eruption. No idea what state the glacier is in nowadays as the video looked a little dated but it was significant enough to pretty much guarantee a lahar if an eruption occurred.

EDIT - found the video again, was from 2004! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ivI-WIunc 

An interesting watch though.

Home: Tunbridge Wells
Work: Tonbridge
The Beast from the East
18 June 2020 07:43:15

And woke up the Transformers!

I was a huge fan as a child, and that's how I first learnt about the eruption!

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
Saint Snow
24 June 2020 08:19:25

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

And woke up the Transformers!

I was a huge fan as a child, and that's how I first learnt about the eruption!

The name of the volcano immediately caught my attention 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
lanky
24 June 2020 08:26:28

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

The name of the volcano immediately caught my attention 

It's a place name not an exhortation

Martin
Richmond, Surrey