Roger Parsons
28 September 2018 05:03:43

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Apples picked today at West Dean; Christmas Pearmain, Newton Wonder, Lord Lambourne, Dumelow's Seedling, Crawley Reinette, Alfriston, Bossom, Winter Queening, Falstaff, Greensleeves, Lemon Pippin, Margil, Court Pendu Plat, Tydeman's Orange, Spartan,Wadhurst Pippin and Bramley's Seedling. 

The great unadventurous British public has heard of Bramleys and was buying as much of them as the rest put together

Our local apple is Bossom, found in an old cottage garden about 5 miles away. It was very difficult to find out its history - put 'Bossom' into Google and it asks 'Do you want bosoms?' Well, not just now ...

Hi DEW.

Our old orchard had Newton Wonder, and we had a newer tree of Spartan, an excellent eater which makes wonderful apple tarts!

We have Apple Days coming up in Lincolnshire if anyone local is interested.

Stamford 6th and Wragby 7th October.

https://www.scog.org.uk/

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/events/wragby-apple-day

Or they could visit to Newton's home at Woolsthorpe Manor. 14th October.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/woolsthorpe-manor/features/apple-day-at-woolsthorpe

Enjoy.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
30 September 2018 14:08:31

Great foraging Dew.

I still have a fast crop of yellow plum tomatoes and walnuts continue to fall, rather like the latter stages of popcorn cooking- slowing, slowing. Just under 5kg of walnuts in total; but the magpies and a smart little squirrel have been at the top of the old tree.

Dad has tried a crop of our rainbow chard and baby turnips and said they were OK. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Bertwhistle
10 October 2018 14:20:21

The garden has itself ripened. Took down the last sunflower heads today- I prefer to leave the seeds for goldfinches but we have teasels & other treats for them; it opened up the ground for some of the lower plants, including my baby turnips.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
10 October 2018 14:22:38

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Hi DEW.

Our old orchard had Newton Wonder, and we had a newer tree of Spartan, an excellent eater which makes wonderful apple tarts!

We have Apple Days coming up in Lincolnshire if anyone local is interested.

Stamford 6th and Wragby 7th October.

https://www.scog.org.uk/

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/events/wragby-apple-day

Or they could visit to Newton's home at Woolsthorpe Manor. 14th October.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/woolsthorpe-manor/features/apple-day-at-woolsthorpe

Enjoy.

Roger

National Trust is putting on a lot of 'Apple Days' Rog; pressing, tasting, baking and harvesting. Nearest one to us is in Dorset

I'll try to drag the trio to the car!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
10 October 2018 15:23:22

I have two sunflowers growing under the bird feeders in the plum tree, so I’ve propped the heads up on the lower branches for the birds.  My green grapes have almost gone and those still on the vine are feeding the blackbirds.  The birds don’t seem to bother with the black grapes but just as well because they’re slightly later than the green ones and most are still on the vine, just nicely ripe and delicious. 

My glut of lovely sweet mini tomatoes are being shared with the girls at work. I decided they’re too small to cook into sauce as there would be too many seeds and skins.  I have a feeling there will be lots of self sets again next year as they’re dropping off the vines. 

Mum’s Bramley apple tree is also keeping the girls at work supplied with pie material. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
10 October 2018 15:44:07

Ended my harvesting tomatoes today. Plants are now for recycle. Growing room now being used for winter storage,,..Of all pots big and little.. having been cleaned of course. 

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
13 October 2018 06:33:25

Tomatoes continue to ripen in these warm conditions.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
tevo
  • tevo
  • Advanced Member
13 October 2018 10:23:48
Last of my late runner beans picked today
ARTzeman
13 October 2018 10:46:00

Must firm all the small shrubs that have been rocked by the winds. Also have TWO to be planted. Both variegated Euonymus.

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
13 October 2018 16:38:22

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I have two sunflowers growing under the bird feeders in the plum tree, so I’ve propped the heads up on the lower branches for the birds.  My green grapes have almost gone and those still on the vine are feeding the blackbirds.  The birds don’t seem to bother with the black grapes but just as well because they’re slightly later than the green ones and most are still on the vine, just nicely ripe and delicious. 

My glut of lovely sweet mini tomatoes are being shared with the girls at work. I decided they’re too small to cook into sauce as there would be too many seeds and skins.  I have a feeling there will be lots of self sets again next year as they’re dropping off the vines. 

Mum’s Bramley apple tree is also keeping the girls at work supplied with pie material. 

Autumn fecundity in the garden still Caz.

I wish we had a Bramley still- it was too close to the shed in the end and although we kept a plum (now a poor provider) and a Cox, the Bramley was the most reliable fruiter.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
14 October 2018 05:03:50

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Autumn fecundity in the garden still Caz.

I wish we had a Bramley still- it was too close to the shed in the end and although we kept a plum (now a poor provider) and a Cox, the Bramley was the most reliable fruiter.

I planted the Bramley with a James Grieve eater in mum’s garden about 35 years ago and they have both been good heavy croppers supplying the whole family and friends. Sadly though, mum’s house is being sold, so this may be our last harvest!

I don’t have room in my own garden for one, although my mum in law’s orchard could supply the whole village with fruit, so we always have too much to deal with. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
14 October 2018 06:39:12

Nasturtiums quite out of control. Newly planted clematis and honeysuckle now getting on with covering the fence at the bottom of the garden as intended, after finding it difficult through the drought.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Roger Parsons
19 October 2018 14:26:11

A wonderful clear autumn day. Visited the bees, a few were flying. Lawn was mowable and I had managed to vacuum up a good quantity of leaves yesterday so the garden looks tidy. 2 Buzzards were mewing high overhead, visible but only just. A dodgy left eye has triple vision [cararact] so let's say 4 buzzards.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Bertwhistle
23 October 2018 16:58:37

3 types of tomato still ripening; collecting a dozen a day. Finished the corn- only a few ears were proper fruit-laden cobs.

Time to make more space for the purple brussels and turnips.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
Bertwhistle
28 October 2018 08:29:24

Ground frost yesterday morning, but even the nasturtiums across the lawn didn't wilt, and the blue ipomea made it through.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
31 October 2018 14:49:26

The cannas and begonias have succumbed to the recent frosts. A fuchsia in a large container still requires regular watering though because of the dry autumn. I wonder when we will see significant rainfall again after a very dry summer and now autumn in this part of England.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Bertwhistle
03 November 2018 15:05:06

Originally Posted by: NMA 

The cannas and begonias have succumbed to the recent frosts. A fuchsia in a large container still requires regular watering though because of the dry autumn. I wonder when we will see significant rainfall again after a very dry summer and now autumn in this part of England.

I share your concern Nick. Although I continue to harvest tomatoes, it's so dry and I won't water with these frosts (3 now). I'm convinced that drier freezes do less harm.

Sorry about your cannas.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
04 November 2018 15:12:36

No problem with the cannas (and dahlias) as the rootstocks/tubers will be fine and go into a dark cool (frost free hopefully) garage. As you say as long as soil/composts are relatively dry, plants seem to cope with frost more often than not. It's the cold and wet that kills them. Does anyone remember the much vaunted olive plantation/grove in Devon quite a few years back? All gone of course as far as I know. Too wet and cold in the winter.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
ARTzeman
05 November 2018 16:28:35

Wild strawberries still fruiting in a Tub.   

Others just get wet.
Bertwhistle
11 November 2018 19:40:57

Originally Posted by: NMA 

No problem with the cannas (and dahlias) as the rootstocks/tubers will be fine and go into a dark cool (frost free hopefully) garage. As you say as long as soil/composts are relatively dry, plants seem to cope with frost more often than not. It's the cold and wet that kills them. Does anyone remember the much vaunted olive plantation/grove in Devon quite a few years back? All gone of course as far as I know. Too wet and cold in the winter.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1522414/First-olive-grove-takes-root-in-sunny-Devon.html

I wonder if the Romans' dreams were similarly dashed. Vines grow ok though. Maybe another decade or two...

Bertie, Itchen Valley.