Gray-Wolf
09 February 2019 10:03:37

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

http://www.geologyin.com/2019/02/extratropical-volcanoes-influence.html?fbclid=IwAR0Sg7u1gmPUXNL0Q_1tlLE7K59TKA-knF8fPiQGT1j1_z_awCxLG_gha54&m=1#pjd9ohzgZtfvbRRx.99

Very interesting!

As far as the injection of sulphates into the strat of the mid lat.s it's worth considering where most of the global industry producing Sulphates is located?

Koyaanisqatsi
ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.
VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS
picturesareme
09 February 2019 18:46:18

Originally Posted by: Gray-Wolf 

Very interesting!

As far as the injection of sulphates into the strat of the mid lat.s it's worth considering where most of the global industry producing Sulphates is located?

Perhaps there is something in the collapse of the Soviet union,also the reduction of coal burning, and reduction of cold easterlies? 

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 February 2019 07:40:13

FWIW Etna is worth a visit as I type this.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/catania/vulcano-etna-nord.html

Nick

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
19 February 2019 07:44:16

I wasn't expecting the snow scene as well, but it sets off the eruption perfectly

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
doctormog
19 February 2019 07:46:28

Originally Posted by: NMA 

FWIW Etna is worth a visit as I type this.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sicilia/catania/vulcano-etna-nord.html

Nick

What a fantastic view! 

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
19 March 2019 20:06:03

Popocatapetl in action

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/popocatepetl-eruption-today-volcano-mexico-ash-cloud-mud-slides-a8829301.html

Chichester 12m asl
Lionel Hutz
29 March 2019 15:22:13
https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/0329/1039329-mexico-volcano/ 

More on Popocatapetl. Fine picture.
Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
29 March 2019 17:14:39

Thank you DEW and Lionel

I love a good eruption as long as I am not next to the vents. Still waiting for Stromboli to begin a nighttime show again.

Nick

South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
19 April 2019 17:06:03
Stromboli is reasonably active this evening. Look up Stromboli webcam and watch some powerful pulses of ash shoot up.
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
17 May 2019 08:03:48

A lot of late deep snow on Etna this morning and active too. Well it had quite a puff of brown ashy stuff a minute ago.

Melts fast though with the strong sun I think.

South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
31 May 2019 15:57:27

Originally Posted by: NMA 

A lot of late deep snow on Etna this morning and active too. Well it had quite a puff of brown ashy stuff a minute ago.

Melts fast though with the strong sun I think.

Been enjoying this clip...

Mount Etna eruptions light up night sky

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-48472188/

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2019 16:16:23

Channel 5 has programme on the threat that Vesuvius poses to Naples this evening at 2100. Not sure whether it has anything new, though.

Chichester 12m asl
The Beast from the East
31 May 2019 18:47:35

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Channel 5 has programme on the threat that Vesuvius poses to Naples this evening at 2100. Not sure whether it has anything new, though.

Is this new? I remember a similar programme a few years ago

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
doctormog
31 May 2019 20:21:46

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Is this new? I remember a similar programme a few years ago

Yes I remember that one but I think this is a new programme.

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
01 June 2019 06:01:46

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Yes I remember that one but I think this is a new programme.

30 mins re-hash, 15 mins new, 15 mins ads. There was stuff I'd not seen before on the geology of the Campi Flegrei area and the network of monitoring stations, but the question of how to evacuate Naples prior to an eruption was left hanging. 

Chichester 12m asl
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
03 June 2019 08:12:53

30 mins re-hash, 15 mins new, 15 mins ads. There was stuff I'd not seen before on the geology of the Campi Flegrei area and the network of monitoring stations, but the question of how to evacuate Naples prior to an eruption was left hanging. 

Slightly off topic but Pompeii by Robert Harris is a great read. He manages to convey the great heat of that summer and how the eruption progressed and what it would have been like to have experienced such an event.

South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Saint Snow
03 June 2019 15:28:36

I was in Naples last Monday and visited Pompeii. Astonishing place.

My understanding (and I also watched a documentary a few months/a year ago) is that the whole Bay of Naples area is a giant Caldera, and the entire area has lifted 2m in the past few years as the magma chamber builds (IIRC, it had only risen 2m in the preceding 60 years)

Oh, and I was on Sicily on Wednesday, a few days before Etna cranked the pyrotechnics back up.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan