noodle doodle
11 September 2017 20:06:29

In more edinburgh moaning, these are the summer months as recorded at the botanic gardens, the most central of the edinburgh stations

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_08.pdf

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_07.pdf

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_06.pdf

In total there was 344.4 mm of rain, compared to the RBGE's average summer's worth of 191 mm

Joe Bloggs
11 September 2017 21:29:33

September has been utterly APPALLING here so far. Absolutely horrendously terrible.

I wish it would just stop raining, even if just for a day! 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Tim A
12 September 2017 05:17:20

Originally Posted by: Solar Cycles 

I thought your side of the Pennines had fared better Gray, I do believe that October will bring some very unseasonably warm and dry weather though. 

I wouldn't say Hebden Bridge is on this side of the Pennines, it is very much in the middle of the Pennines and could easily be classed as NW England.  

Overall here first half of summer was slightly above average and second half slightly below.  Met office maps show slightly more sunshine than average and average temperatures overall  .

September has been awful though! 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

speckledjim
12 September 2017 06:55:54

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

I wouldn't say Hebden Bridge is on this side of the Pennines, it is very much in the middle of the Pennines and could easily be classed as NW England.  

Overall here first half of summer was slightly above average and second half slightly below.  Met office maps show slightly more sunshine than average and average temperatures overall  .

Being a few miles away from you I'd fully agree with your assessment of our summer - pretty much average overall with a v poor start to September.

Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Solar Cycles
12 September 2017 08:33:06

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Anything east of Accrington is Yorkshire for me. 😁

johncs2016
12 September 2017 13:19:28

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

In more edinburgh moaning, these are the summer months as recorded at the botanic gardens, the most central of the edinburgh stations

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_08.pdf

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_07.pdf

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/2017/2017_06.pdf

In total there was 344.4 mm of rain, compared to the RBGE's average summer's worth of 191 mm

Thanks for that, which means that I now have enough data to compile my statistics for the whole year so far at that station over on the appropriate Precipitation Watch thread in the same way that I have been doing for Edinburgh Gogarbank up until now. This actually shows up the local variation even more than anything else which I had reported so far.

What you add all of these figures up, they show that 523.6 mm of rain has fallen at the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh so far this year (we have just had another heavy shower just a short while ago, which will further add to that) as opposed to just 487.6 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank. At this stage of the year, the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh would expect to have had 465.5 mm of rain so far compared to 495.8 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

This means that whilst Edinburgh Gogarbank is currently 1.1% drier than average during this year so far, the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh are actually 8.3% wetter than average so far this year, so there is clearly big difference between those two stations in terms of rainfall, although both stations have somehow managed to get away with being drier than average during this month so far. However, we do have Storm Aileen coming along later on tonight, and it will be interesting to what that brings although the latest forecasts have indicated that the worst of the weather from that is likely to be to the south of here.

I have to say though, that I wouldn't normally be expecting to see a named storm so early in the season, especially since that is something which we don't normally see until we are heading into the winter. I can remember just before that stormy winter of 2013/14 when there was the St. Jude storm which battered the south of England, but that didn't come along until well into October of that year and even in advance of that really wet winter which we had in 2015/16 which was when the system of naming storms was first introduced, I don't recall there being anything on that note, this early in the season.

That means that the fact that we now have Storm Aileen arriving on the scene so early in the season is actually quite astonishing when you consider that in recent years, September has actually had quite a good record in terms of acting as an extension to our summer, but that just shows what this month has been like.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
12 September 2017 19:07:02

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

I would agree with you Richard, except for the fact that our "summer" this year came during late April and early May!

In my area, late May/early June was the start of the rot this year and it has never recovered since.

We didn’t even get that here. Mid-April to mid-May was cool and cloudy here. I was in Copenhagen from 6th to 13th May and it wasn’t much better there either. One day had a max of 7C with heavy rain.

A few days in late May, a 36-hour heatwave in mid-June and a fine week in July (when  I was abroad) is the extent of the good weather here since mid-April.

Another dire day today. Thought I read that there were going to be cold nights this week but must have been my imagination. A double digit min overnight followed by a mostly cloudy day with some drizzle showers. Horrid and just typical 21st Century October dross arriving a month early

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Crepuscular Ray
13 September 2017 06:39:50
After enduring Edinburgh's depressing summer I'm in the Costa Blanca for the whole of September. Constant deep blue skies, maxes of 28-32 C and mins of 18-21 C so far. Only 2.5 hrs away from Edinburgh!!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
richardabdn
17 September 2017 09:17:38

Yet another dire, damp, drizzly,  grey day that was supposed to be dry

Not since 1985 has such an awful summer gone on to be followed by such an awful September.

It would, however, be a mistake to say this month had been as bad as the summer. It's been far worse. No remotely pleasant weather at all bar the first two days. Just disgusting, soul destroying rubbish day-in-day-out from one of the most horrible and depressingly boring months of all time.

It's been absolutely shocking. Not a single dry day the past week and only one day hitting 14C. Still waiting for a sub-8C minimum which is unbelievable given that there have been several days of northerlies. Does not bode well for the winter at all. It's beyond a joke.

13/17 days have had minima between 8.2C and 9.8C. It's taking the tedium of the past decade to a whole new level

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
17 September 2017 16:22:43

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another dire, damp, drizzly,  grey day that was supposed to be dry

Not since 1985 has such an awful summer gone on to be followed by such an awful September.

It would, however, be a mistake to say this month had been as bad as the summer. It's been far worse. No remotely pleasant weather at all bar the first two days. Just disgusting, soul destroying rubbish day-in-day-out from one of the most horrible and depressingly boring months of all time.

It's been absolutely shocking. Not a single dry day the past week and only one day hitting 14C. Still waiting for a sub-8C minimum which is unbelievable given that there have been several days of northerlies. Does not bode well for the winter at all. It's beyond a joke.

13/17 days have had minima between 8.2C and 9.8C. It's taking the tedium of the past decade to a whole new level

If you're not happy with today's weather in your area, you're certainly not going to be happy with the offering which the latest BBC forecast has in store for you during tomorrow, which is for a longer spell of rain and very cool temperatures with a bit of that extending down towards here in Edinburgh as well, especially later on. For here, we still have a few showers dotted around which are being blown straight in off the North Sea in by a cool NE wind, That is despite the fact that today was supposed to be dry here as well.

This was after all, supposed to be the weekend where a ridge of high pressure would build in from the west and cut off those northerlies which have resulted from those 'if only it were winter' synoptics which we have seen over the last few days. Luckily, we have just had the one shower of rain here and although that was quite heavy at one point, it was barely enough to wet the ground and not enough to be picked up by either the botanic Gardens in Edinburgh or Edinburgh Gogarbank as any sort of measurable rainfall.

However, it looks as though it might well only be a matter of time before we get at least one more heavy shower and if that ends up being detected by the weather station at the botanic Gardens in Edinburgh as measurable rainfall, this will then be the ninth rain day in a row which we have had and although we're not getting the really high rainfall totals during this month which a number of other members are reporting on this forum, the fact that we have now gone so long without a completely dry day is starting to get a bit ridiculous now.

On top of that, sunshine totals continue to be poor as well. What sunshine we are getting is coming later on during the day and whilst the fact that it getting darker at nights is depressing enough especially with the Autumn Equinox coming up next Friday which then leads us into the nights being longer than the days after that, the fact that I am constantly having to wake up to yet another permacast scenario every day certainly doesn't help in that regard.

Furthermore, September has had a good record in recent years of being a decent month to such an extent that it has often been dubbed as an extension to our summer, so the fact that this hasn't happened this year leads me to wonder when on Earth, we are actually going to get what we would regard as a 'decent' month of weather, when we can't even get that during what has traditionally been one of the best months of recent years.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Saint Snow
18 September 2017 08:50:58

We had a party on Saturday, asked people to arrive from 5pm onwards. The forecast leading up to Saturday had been mostly dry, with the odd update suggesting chance of a shower. Sunny all day, not particularly warm (indeed a little chilly at 16c) before a real dirty dark cloud began to bubble up around 4.30pm.

Started raining soon after 5pm and didn't stop for 2 hours. Around 6pm I looked at the rain radar and had to laugh - there was an intense area of rainfall, about 10 miles wide & 20 miles long, centred right over chez moi, with dry for almost all the rest of the NW England region.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Crepuscular Ray
18 September 2017 13:25:41
So fed up of this now. Yet another September day of relentless sunshine and its over 30 C again! 32 C at nearby Murcia! 😂
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Chunky Pea
18 September 2017 13:29:33

Frost on cars and roofs this morning. First of the season. Sunny, calm  and pleasant feeling out with low humidity and a temp of 17.4c.

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022